Wash. Rev. Code § 13.70.010
Revised Code of Washington
Title 13. Juvenile Courts and Juvenile Offenders
Chapter 13.70. Substitute Care of Children--Review Board System
§ 13.70.010. Definitions
Unless the context requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Board" means the local citizen review board established pursuant to this chapter.
(2) "Child" means a person less than eighteen years of age.
(3) "Committee" means a local Indian child welfare advisory committee established pursuant to WAC 388-70-610, as now existing or hereafter amended by the department.
(4) "Conflict of interest" means that a person appointed to a board has a personal or pecuniary interest in a case being reviewed by that board.
(5) "Court" means the juvenile court.
(6) "Custodian" means that person who has legal custody of the child.
(7) "Department" means the department of social and health services.
(8) "Mature child" means a child who is able to understand and participate in the decision-making process without excessive anxiety or fear. A child twelve years old or over shall be rebuttably presumed to be a mature child.
(9) "Parent" or "parents" means the biological or adoptive parents of a child unless the legal rights of that person have been terminated by judicial proceedings.
(10) "Placement episode" means the period of time that begins with the date the child was removed from the home of the parent or legal custodian for the purposes of placement in substitute care and continues until the child returns home or an adoption decree or guardianship order is entered.
(11) "Records" means any information in written form, pictures, photographs, charts, graphs, recordings, or documents pertaining to a case.
(12) "Resides" or "residence," when used in reference to the residence of a child, means the place where the child is actually living and not the legal residence or domicile of the parent or guardian.
(13) "Substitute care" means an out-of-home placement of a child for purposes related to the provision of child welfare services in accordance with chapter 74.13 RCW where the child is in the care, custody, and control of the department pursuant to a proceeding under chapter 13.34 RCW or pursuant to the written consent of the child's parent or parents or custodian.
[1991 c 127 § 3; 1989 1st ex.s. c 17 § 3.]