Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Tribal Code
Chapter 8. Honorary Membership
In accordance with Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution, the Tribal Council shall establish an honorary roster for persons adopted by the Tribe who do not meet the requirements for membership in the Tribe. Honorary members shall not have the right to vote, hold office, or otherwise exercise the rights or receive benefits of membership in the Tribe.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-8-1, PTN Code § 10-8-1
The purpose of adopting honorary members into the Tribe is to recognize certain individuals who have voluntarily committed themselves to the overall development of the Tribe and its members and who have maintained strong social ties with the Tribe. Honorary members are recognized for their unselfish giving of friendship and assistance to the Tribe and its membership.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-8-2, PTN Code § 10-8-2
Only those individuals or organizations who have contributed to the social, cultural, educational, and/or economic well being of the Tribe shall be considered for honorary membership. The individual or organization must meet at least two (2) of the following factors, unless they have contributed extensively in one of the following areas in numbers (1) through (6), they include but are not limited to:
(1) Contributions towards the Restoration of the Tribe;
(2) Contributions towards the cultural preservation of the Tribe:
(3) Financial and economic contributions to the Tribe;
(4) Contributions which have increased the social, economic, educational, or cultural well being of the youth of the Tribe;
(5) Contributions towards the federal or legal advocacies of the Tribe;
(6) Any other act or acts that have contributed to the development and cultural preservation of the Tribe and its members; and
(7) Being the wife, husband, or close relative of a Tribal Member.
Contributions include but are not limited to financial contributions.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-8-3, PTN Code § 10-8-3
Any member of the Tribe may nominate an individual for honorary membership by submitting a completed Honorary Membership Application, approved by the Committee, to the Enrollment Office. The application shall be submitted to the Committee at the next duly scheduled Committee Meeting. The Committee shall review the nomination and determine whether the individual or organization meets the purposes and eligibility requirements for honorary membership. The recommendation of the Committee shall be presented at the next scheduled Tribal Council Meeting by the Enrollment Office. The Tribal Council shall decide by resolution whether the individual shall become an honorary member.
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Code § 10-8-4, PTN Code § 10-8-4