Law Bulletins | News
| Archives |
2009 Sovereign Immunity
A service of the National Indian Law Library of the Native American Rights Fund
Articles are arranged from most recent (December) to least recent (January) for this particular year and topic.
Please note: At the time that these news stories were initially indexed by the National Indian Law Library, access to the stories was free. Sources such as the New York Times and L. A. Times may require a Login and Password, even if acccess is free. Please contact the National Indian Law Library if you need help accessing an article or feel we missed an important one.
Links to news stories may not be functional over time; they may become broken as news agencies reorganize articles on their websites. But links are not removed in the event that they assist you in finding the article at a later date. Contact NILL or your local librarian for help retrieving articles if links are broken.
• • Narragansett Indian Tribe tries to block subpoena of tribal leader (Providence Journal) 10/27/09
• • Court ruling exempts tribes from CERCLA liability (NorthWest Hub) 9/2/09
• • Congressman Cole discusses tribal sovereignty, business (Chickasaw Nation) 8/17/09
• • Reconciling sovereignty and democracy (Indian Country Today) 7/10/09
• • Oglala Sioux Tribe pays off $1.5M in immunity case (Indianz.com) 4/24/09
• • Oglala Sioux Tribe hit with levy in immunity case (Indianz.com) 4/21/09
• • Judge allows levy on Oglala Sioux Tribe funds (Indianz.com) 4/10/09
• • Oglala Sioux Tribe in sovereign immunity dispute (Indianz.com) 4/3/09
• • Appeals court backs Crow constitution (Billings Gazette) 4/1/09
• • Court upholds Ala. tribe's water system (Montgomery Advertiser) 3/30/09
• • Lawyer wants lawsuit tossed (San Bernardino County Sun) 3/30/09
• • Connecticut bill bans smoking at tribal casinos (Indianz.com) 3/20/09
• • Council waives sovereign immunity for loan (Cherokee Phoenix) 2/21/09
• • Suit against Indian tribe is settled for $500,000 (Union-Tribune) 2/20/09
• • Whistle-blower lawsuit against Viejas dismissed (Union-Tribune) 2/3/09
• • Cook v. Avi Casino Enters. — trouble? (Turtle Talk) 1/30/09