Indian Law Bulletins | News | Current
Sponsored by our
Partners in Justice
Search in the
Indian Law Bulletins
Native News Sources:
For more current news stories visit:
For a list of American Indian media see Lisa Mitten's web site.
Please note: At the time that these news stories were initially indexed by the National Indian Law Library, access to the stories was free. Sources such as the New York Times and L. A. Times may require a Login and Password, even if access is free. Please contact the National Indian Law Library if you need help accessing an article or feel we missed an important one.
Links to news stories may not be functional over time; they may become broken as news agencies reorganize articles on their web sites. But links are not removed in the event that they assist you in finding the article at a later date. Contact NILL or your local librarian for help retrieving articles if links are broken.
A service of the National Indian Law Library of the Native American Rights Fund
Selected Native American News Stories
Last updated: March 6, 2014
Next update is planned to be published by: March 14, 2014
This page includes only the news in the most recent update. To see earlier articles, please visit the news archive (organized by topic).
If a password is required, try the Bugmenot.com service for quick access.
• • Native American tribes adopt Bitcoin-like currency, prepare to battle US government (The Verge) 3/5/14
• • Seminole Tribe looks again at Atlantic City casino (Tampa Tribune) 3/3/14
• • Tribes clash as casinos move away from home (New York Times) 3/3/14
Environment & Energy
• • California governor signs $687 million drought relief bill (Indian Country Today) 3/1/14
• • EPA puts Pebble Mine on hold (National Geographic) 2/28/14
• • State Senate OKs fish wars bill, heads to governor (Komo News) 3/5/14
• • Utah legislature recognizes "atrocities" against Native Americans (Cache Valley Daily) 3/4/14
• • Attorney General Holder meets with Tribal Nations Leadership Council (Department of Justice) 2/27/14
Land & Water
• • Historic truce in century-long water war balances needs of Klamath tribes, farmers (Indian Country Today) 3/6/14
• • Wind River Indian Reservation's borders are disputed (NPR) 3/5/14
• • Flathead tribes to pay $18.3 million for Kerr Dam (Miami Herald) 3/5/14
Recognition & Enrollment
• • 'Nooksack 306' wards off disenrollment with multiple legal actions (Indian Country Today) 3/3/14
• • Calif. sacred sites bill would boost protections but exclude some 50 tribes (Indian Country Today) 3/6/14
• • Tribal judge works for Yurok-style justice (L.A. Times) 3/5/14