General Legal Research
Basic Indian Law Research Tips - Federal Indian Law. David Selden and Monica Martens, National Indian Law Library. (2008)
Basic Indian Law Research Tips - Tribal Law. David Selden, National Indian Law Library. (2012)
How to Research a Legal Problem: a Guide for Non-Lawyers (American Association of Law Libraries). Some of the web sites linked from the the National Indian Law Library's
Guide to Legal Assistance Resources provides similar information also.
Introduction to United States Law - (University of San Francisco). A list of reference materials about the United States legal system and laws.
Legal and Factual Research on the Internet - (Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll, LLP). To find articles on this topic, use the search engine at this web site. Search using either the word "Internet" or the words "legal and factual research on the Internet."
Zimmerman's Research Guide - (LexisNexis). An Online Encyclopedia for Legal Researchers by Andrew Zimmerman. Provides an A-Z list of legal research topics.
United States Government Web Sites:
- First Gov - (United States Office of Citizen Services and Communications).
- GPO Access - (United States Government Printing Office).
- Thomas - (Library of Congress).
University and Non-Profit Web Sites:
- Documents in the News: current events research - (University of Michigan Documents Center). Discussed in an article at LLRX on "The Government Domain: Government Documents and the News", which lists additional websites.
- Hieros Gamos
- Legal Information Institute - (Cornell University).
- Native American Constitution and Law Digitization Project - (University of Oklahoma).
Commercial Web Sites With Free Resources:
Commercial legal research portals:
(these fee-based services
may be available at your local academic or county law library)