Or. Rev. Stat. § 419B.365

Oregon Revised Statutes

Title 34. Human Services; Juvenile Code; Corrections

Chapter 419B. Juvenile Code: Dependency

Juvenile Court

(Permanent Guardianship)

§ 419B.365. Petition for permanent guardianship; appointment of guardian; powers and duties of guardian; orders

(1) At any time following establishment of jurisdiction and wardship under ORS 419B.100, but prior to filing of a petition under ORS 419B.500, or after dismissal of a petition filed under ORS 419B.500 if it fails to result in termination of the parent's rights, a party, or person granted rights of limited participation for the purpose of filing a guardianship petition, may file, and the court may hear, a petition for permanent guardianship. If the Department of Human Services chooses not to participate in a proceeding initiated by an intervenor under ORS 419B.875, the state is not foreclosed from filing a subsequent action should the intervenor's petition be denied.

(2) The grounds for granting a permanent guardianship are the same as those for termination of parental rights.

(3) The court shall grant a permanent guardianship if it finds by clear and convincing evidence that:

(a) The grounds cited in the petition are true; and

(b) It is in the best interest of the ward that the parent never have physical custody of the ward but that other parental rights and duties should not be terminated.

(4) If an Indian child is involved, the permanent guardianship must be in compliance with the Indian Child Welfare Act. Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, the facts supporting any finding made to establish a permanent guardianship for an Indian child, including the finding that continued custody by the parents or Indian custodian would result in serious emotional or physical harm to the child, must be established beyond a reasonable doubt.

(5) Unless vacated under ORS 419B.368, a guardianship established under this section continues as long as the ward is subject to the court's jurisdiction as provided in ORS 419B.328.

Laws 1997, c. 873, § 3; Laws 1999, c. 59, § 119; Laws 1999, c. 859, § 23; Laws 2003, c. 229, § 6; Laws 2003, c. 396, § 63a.